Monday, August 11, 2008

Reading is Fun!!

After a long break from reading, years, I'm embarrassed to say...I have renewed my love for it. The Twilight series has something to do with it, I'm sure, but before I read those (obsessively) I read some other greats. I recommend: Not Without My Daughter, The Kite Runner, Memory Keeper's Daughter...I recommend reading. It's a great pass time. I've have the TV on less and less which is such a great feeling. I don't want Palmer growing up to be a vegetating TV kid. We plan to use the TV less and less and replace it with enriching activities and games for Palmer that require active imagination, not to mention activity. So I thought it would be easiest to start early. I've been reading to him since he was about 2 1/2 months old and he truly loves it. It calms him if he's fussy and entertains him endlessly. Now at 3 1/2 months, I can see him actually looking at each page's pictures back and forth while I read.

Last night after a short hike up Teton Canyon, he was crying pretty hard once we got in the car. I think it was a combination of being hungry, tired and a little over stimulated. I sat in the back with him and he was inconsolable. So I pulled out a Slednecks magazine from the back of the seat and started showing him the pictures and reading random things off each page. He stopped crying right away! He looked excitedly at each page and I know that if I hadn't read books to him everyday before now, that magazine wouldn't have interested him at all. Thank goodness for books!

So read to your kids!! And read for yourself...

Palmer absolutely loves The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The bright simple pictures on each page are so fun for him to look at. Plus the story reminds me of Palmer. ...but he was still hungry...

6 comments:

Julie said...

Your book suggestions make me laugh because I have read all of those same books recently--your mom's recommendations right? That is so great that Palmer likes you to read to him. What a good mom! Kate will sit through about one page. She loves to get all the books out but I end up basically reading to myself...maybe someday!

Brenda said...

The only one I haven't read yet is "Not Without My Daughter." I am on the third book of the Twilight series right now and am loving it. Have you read "The Host" yet? It is by Stephenie Meyer also, and it is fabulous. Also "A Thousand Splendid Suns," which is the same author as "The Kite Runner." I have been reading A LOT lately and I love it! I'm glad you caught the bug also!

Melissa said...

I totally agree about the reading! I read Teagan a story every time I put him down for a nap and it calms him down so much! He usually falls asleep by the end of the story.

PS: At first I thought it was you and TEagan in the picture of the book...hehe they must be cousins. :)

alicia king said...

very cute! love him looking at the book! start 'em young! Gulianna loves to read her books!

Jessica said...

How cute are you Alicia? I LOVE reading now too. In High School and College - no way! Those are way cute pictures of you and Palmer reading together!

Gloria said...

Such a good mommy!! Conner would rather have me tell him a story about puppies then read to him??? but I try ;)