Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dexter James Kaufman

Short version:
Dexter James Kaufman
Born 3/22/2010 at 4:40pm, 5 weeks early
5 lbs. 12 oz., 17 inches long


Really Long version:

2:00am Monday morning my water broke. I didn't really know what to do for a couple seconds. I was pretty sure I'd be having him early so was overly prepared but for a second had no idea the next step. Garth was in WI for the weekend for his last race of the season so I was at my mom's house (since I was on bed rest). I called the after hours number and told them my water broke, knocked on my mom's bedroom door, and she and I headed over to the Jackson hospital (about an hour away).

3:30am we got checked in and hooked up to the monitors. I was having contractions ever 3-4 mins.

4:00am I was dilated to 4cm and 80% effaced. Garth was at the Milwaukee airport trying to get home as fast as he could. He was scheduled to arrive in Jackson at 1pm. The doctor told me he probably wouldn't make it in time. I continued contracting every 3 minutes for the next 9 hours but not really progressing. Dexter wanted to wait for his dad!

12:45pm Garth arrives at the airport and I was still only 5cm dilated. I got an
epidural and was able to enjoy the rest of my labor. After Garth got there things finally took off-I really think Dexter was waiting. We all wanted him there. My mom was there with me the whole time and was my own personal nurse through the day and the most uncomfortable parts-pre epidural.
Passing the time texting and surfing

4:40pm Dexter arrives! His pediatrician was there and checked him out right away. Since he was 5 weeks early, he was on the border of them wanting me to deliver somewhere else that had a NICU. They thought I was too far along in labor to make it anywhere.

Tuesday evening-the hospital provided a lovely 'candle light' dinner in room for Garth and I.

Wednesday-Dexter only had to stay an extra 12 hours or so-just to keep an eye on him, then we were sent home Wednesday afternoon. He's super healthy and strong. We are so excited to have him (and it's also a bonus that I'm not on bed rest anymore-I still had another week).

13 comments:

Brenda said...

Congrats! He's a cutie. Your story made me cry... so glad Garth got to be there!

Beth said...

Love it, love it! So honored and pleased to be there, thank you for inviting me! What a beautiful family, sweet and generous all of you!

Melissa said...

Wow! I love that Dexter waited for Garth! It makes it so real to see the family picture! You are a 4 person family!!! Crazy, you guys are so cute, I can't wait to meet Dexter!

Angie said...

That is such a sweet story!!! Love all the pics too!! I'm just wondering where MY candlelight dinner is... I'm so glad that Garth made it in time. What a good guy Dexter is for waiting! I almost went back and changed my vote to Dexter, but thought that'd be cheesy! So glad all is well! We will have to get together soon!

Sara said...

Congratulations!!!!!! Everything seems to have gone smoothly and how wonderful that Garth was there! I never look that good for my candlelight dinner!!

Brian and Elise said...

Congratulations Alicia and Garth! So glad that everything turned out ok and you do make such a beautiful family. We hope everything is going well for you and can't wait to meet little Dexter!

Carie Beard said...

Congrats you guys! He is such a cutie and I am so happy everything went well. I love that he waited for his dad!!!

Taryn said...

congrats! that's pretty sweet that he didn't come until Garth was there! Happy for you both!

leslie mae said...

CONGRATS!!! What a cutie and I LOVE LOVE LOVE his name!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!! You look FABULOUS by the way!!

Julie said...

I love the story! I love the pictures. Especially the last family picture, you and Garth just look so happy. Dexter is so tiny! And man, you know how to grow them! I can't believe he was able to come home so quickly! What a relief. Can't wait to meet him!

Robbi Williamson said...

Congrats! What a cutie,so glad that Garth made it on time.

Anonymous said...

Good job!!! We are so happy for you! We can't wait to meet Mr. D.
Love Rebekah and Robert

Amy said...

I just wanted to let you know that there's another Dexter James Kaufmann (two n's) living in rural South Jersey! He's 8 years old and was just asking me if there might be another Dexter James Kaufmann, so I Googled the name and your blog came up. I hope your Dexter enjoys the name like ours does! He sure is a cute baby.
Best,
Amy (mom)