Saturday, March 6, 2010

Unexpected Hospital Stay

WARNING!! LONG POST!!

Thursday night at 6:30 or so I started noticing I was having frequent contractions. I started keeping track at 7pm and was having them regularly 3-4 mins apart. I called the after hours on call doctor and she told me the typical-drink 2 big glasses of water fast and rest and call back in an hour if nothing has changed... My wonderful mother came over at 8 and sat with me while I was monitoring my own contractions, giving me moral support. Nothing changed. Some were more like 2 mins apart. I called back and was told to go in for monitoring. Garth is in Wisconsin for one of his last races so Palmer and I are on our own! Palmer was in bed already so Garth's mom dropped everything and zipped over to stay with him.
So we (my mom and I) headed over to Jackson (there are no OB docs in Driggs) and got checked in around 10:20pm. The roads were horrible and I was wondering if it was even worth it.
They put me on IV fluids right away-explaining again-dehydration causes contractions. I was on the monitor for about an hour with continuous contractions so was given a shot (terbutaline) to try to stop them. It didn't do much, so they checked to see if I was progressing into labor. I was slightly dialated (1cm) and 60% effaced. Then I got some oral meds (nifedipine) to try to relax my uterus. (Too much info??-sorry). I was still continuing to contract. They gave me some steroids (betamethasone) to boost the baby's lung development-I'm not even 33 weeks yet (out of 40). Those shots were AWFUL!!
I stayed overnight Friday while they watched me and waited to see if I continued to progress in labor. They were thinking about sending me down to the University Hospital in Salt Lake (which is also where I had Palmer at 34 weeks-completely different circumstance) because the baby would be so premature. They don't have a NICU in Jackson.
I had some tests done to see if I was susceptible to pre-term labor. Those came back negative which was reassuring. That test is good for 10 days-then I may have to get it again to see if I'm putting off the hormone that would indicate pre term labor...
All Thursday night through today-Saturday, I've continued to have contractions while on medication but never progressed in labor. During our two night stay I had another shot of terbutaline, more steroids for the baby, and more nifedipine in effort to control the contractions.
This morning they sent me home w/nifedipine to take ever 6 hours and am on strict bed rest for the next 3 weeks. Then I can stop the meds and go into labor whenever it happens.
My mom stayed with me the entire time sleeping on those terrible beds in my hospital room and was my own personal nurse. She has taken me in along with my darling son has been waiting on me keeping me down. Rachel is of course a big help too. Palmer requires a lot of attention! :)
Jackson Hospital labor and delivery room (I'm a little puffy from the IV fluids)

10 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm glad you're back home and baby is not here yet. Take care...

Gloria said...

I am glad that you are okay-for now! Good luck the next few weeks.

Angie said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm sending happy thoughts your way. I'm so sorry! Thank goodness for your mom and mother-in-law!!!! I'm thinking about you.

Melissa said...

Wow, I hope he decides to stay inside his little cacoon for a few more weeks! That is wonderful that your mom and rachel are there. I don't know what I'd do if I went on bed rest! Good luck we'll be thinking of you and praying that you can hold off for a few more weeks!

Sara said...

Holy cow Alicia!! What a week you've had. Isn't family wonderful?! That stinks that you have to be on bed rest, but better that than to have a preterm baby! We're thinking of you!

Love,
Sara

Taryn said...

oh man..glad it turned out ok. Fun to be home and have your mom take care of you! My mom came the month before the twins came for like the whole month..it was awesome! I miss it.

Sandy said...

Oh man! That sticks. Hopefully you'll make it for 3 more weeks.

Julie said...

I'm glad things are looking up a little bit. Hopefully your little one decides to stay in a little longer! Hang in there!

Brian and Elise said...

Alicia, we hope that things are going better for you. We are thinking of you!

Ben and Summer said...

WOW. That's so crazy. I wish we were closer to help more. That little guy is so lucky to have such a great family to help him. Hope he stays in there for a while. But Palmer turned out OK;) Good luck, you guys will be in our prayers.