Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lightning...

As hard as this is to believe, I feel weird even saying this-Garth got struck by lightning Friday afternoon in Cooke City, MT. Don't worry-he's fine. He was testing next year's race sleds with Arctic Cat and a crazy electrical storm came in with no warning. Lightning struck the top of the mountain they were riding on about 100 yards away. They immediately headed down the hill to take cover in the trailer. Lightning was striking all around. 100 feet away, 50 feet away, everywhere aroumd them. Then Garth heard a loud bang and woke up 15 feet from his snowmobile numb. He thought he was paralysed. He slowly got feeling back and got up. Both of his hands were flopping around so he thought he broke both wrists. Riding his sled was out of the question, so he just started running for cover down the mountain. Lightning was still hitting all around him and he finally made it back to safety after flagging down his fleeing friends and catching a ride down on the back of one of their sleds.
He was really sore from his muscles convulsing. He compared his body's reaction to someone getting tasered. Other than that though, no other injuries or burns...

We are feeling very lucky that Garth didn't get hurt or worse...I think we'll play the power ball...

16 comments:

Brenda said...

Holy scary! But the last sentence made me laugh. Wow! I'm glad he is ok... Geez I always here about this but... wow, that's all I can say.

Brenda said...

I meant hear not here... ugh!

Melissa said...

I am SO glad he is okay, what a scary experience! I can't believe he was able to get up and run down the hill, that is incredible. You guys are lucky!

Ben and Summer said...

WHAAAAAT? I am so glad he's OK! That must have been such a crazy experience? Thank heaven for miarcles. I can't imagine his phone call to you! Let us know how that power ball works out...

Carie Beard said...

Holy Crap!!! That is crazy. I am so glad he wan't hurt worse! You should buy a lotto ticket ;)

Jessica said...

WOW! Such exciting times at your home - you should totally buy a lotto ticket!
So glad Garth is ok...

Julie said...

Crazy! I am so glad he is okay! Jeff called me this morning and asked me if I knew Garth had been struck by lightning and I thought he was joking! So good to see you this weekend and we'll see you in a couple more!

Paul and Aubrey Young said...

That is so crazy! I am happy to hear that he is safe.

Brian and Elise said...

WOW! I'm so glad that he is okay. It sounds like that was pretty scary. Wow . . .

Anonymous said...

what the ??? so glad he's okay, what an experience!

Sheen said...

what in the frickin' frack?! that's ca.razy! i'm so glad that he's ok.

serioulsy. what are the odds?

Angie said...

Wow! I don't even know what to say! I am so glad he wasn't seriously injured!!!! He is so fortunate. Be careful, you crazy kids!

Anonymous said...

So is Garth a hybrid now? Do you have to plug him in at night?

Brenda said...

I'm loving roberts comment. I can just picture it... you introducing Garth - and this is my hybrid husband, Garth. LOL. IDK struck me as funnny.

Woolstenhulme-4-ever said...

Oh my heck ,that is so scary! I'm glad he is ok... Dang I don't even know what to say... weird!

crapo family said...

THAT IS THE CRAZIEST THING EVER! I heard about this a little while ago...you guys are so LUCKY! I guess i would have known more if I were a better blogger. anyways, we are glad he is safe! Palmer is getting HUGE! where does time go? just yesterday we were kids at the painted buffalo! HEHE! hope all is going well for you guys, we were thinking of taking the kids to the jackson rec center or something...we should plan a day of fun for the kids!